Done Watching, 2018: This Is Where I Leave You (2014), Review

Friday, January 12, 2018



Cluttered, dysfunctional, and surprisingly alright. This Is Where I Leave You (2014) marks the third movie I've watched just because it involves a certain actor, and at this point, I hope I'm done for good. 



*** THIS REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***




Highs

  • Surprisingly heartwarming at times and has a few good moments. 
  • Phillip the precious baby black sheep of the family. 
  • Great song choices for the soundtrack. 
  • It was shot well for its kind. 
  • The little boy who likes to poop.

Lows

  • Tina Fey felt like a miscast.
  • The last act was kind of flat and generically vague. 
  • My only motivation for watching this is Adam Driver. 





The film opens with Judd (played by Jason Bateman)'s life as it was. But after one heck of a punch in the face(figuratively), we see his somewhat downfall. After his father's death, he was then forced, along with his siblings to go back to their childhood home, under one roof for an entire week to fulfill their father's last dying wish. As every movie family reunion is expected to go - we witness the expected fights, squabbles, and arguments that make it all funny and heartwarming at the same time.


I was never really planning on watching this one. I feel like I was done with films of this type. I never really liked getting that "I feel like I wasted my time" kind of feeling. But given that I'm in an undeniable Adam Driver obsession since The Last Jedi (also, given the fact that I have watched all of his interviews on youtube and I am sadly running out of content to consume.), I decided to give this a try.


And of course, given that he is my only motivation, I liked Adam Driver as Phillip in this movie. Adam certainly did enough to fill the part of the family's baby black sheep. Though he is, and I quote from his own words, "an irredeemable asshole", he has his moments with his siblings that are quite precious. I especially loved his scenes with Judd and Tracy (played by Connie Britton) the most.


Connie Britton who played Tracy, Phillip's girlfriend and shrink, was kind of a scene stealer for me. Not because she was alongside Philip - there was, unfortunately, a lack of that. But her insecurities, realizations, and growth in a short span of time were notable despite her somewhat brief appearance in the course of the movie. Her one conversation with Judd in the last act made me tear up (just a bit!). 

As for the most of the cast, I'm honestly not familiar with them. As I've said, I don't really watch movies of this type. But I could say that Bateman was Bateman, as far as I could tell. I've only seen him in a couple of films, and I remembered him exactly how he played Judd. So I'm guessing it was really fairly easy for him to do the job. 



As we join the Altman family for a week, a lot of emotional and somewhat physical baggage presents itself that made it kind of unbearable and weirdly relatable as far as family reunions go.The movie despite the chaos has its notable heartfelt moments that made it somehow bearable to finish. I especially loved the little glimpses of Tracy and Philip's steamy cut short romance. 



Given the number characters involved in the story, a few were sadly underused - which is what they did with the eldest, Paul (played by Corey Stall). Wendy(played by Tina Fey)'s character, on the other hand, felt a bit out of the whole narrative and seem to be unnecessary in my opinion. But as the siblings when together, creates this endearing dynamic that makes the whole family narrative work.

It is made to be white and filled with schtick, but despite that, it comes with a gentle reminder that your family is there to save you, whether you like it or not.


I watched this movie with little to no expectation, and in the end, I consider it a decent enough to watch if you have time on your hands. Despite its flaws here and there, I surprisingly and genuinely enjoyed it, nonetheless.











Hello! My name is Caroline and I own this blog!

I like watching things, and I love talking about them. In order to bring back life to my slowly dying blog, I have decided to post reviews of the things I have watched here in this place. Not to mention my low-key obsession with taking screen captures. I used to do little thread reviews on my twitter, which I still do to this date. I also have a dedicated Tumblr where I dump most of my screen caps.

Thank you for taking the time and reading this review. It really means a lot to me. 

It would be nice to know what you think of the thing I watched in this post as well. Or if you have any suggestions on what should I watch next, comment below or reach me thru twitter

You Might Also Like

0 comments