Done Watching, 2018: A Love So Beautiful (2017), Review

Tuesday, January 09, 2018




Light, unnecessarily long, and undeniably cute (most of the time). "A Love So Beautiful" tested my patience, and to think we are only in the second week of 2018. 


*** THIS REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***


Highs

  • Lu Yang & Jing Xiao
  • Jing Xiao & Xiao Xi's Friendship
  • Jiang Chen & Xiao Xi's height difference
  • FRIENDSHIP.

Lows

  • 23 Episodes
  • Did some changes so that it's not totally an "Itazura Na Kiss" rip-off.
  • Xiao Xi's crying scenes.



We follow Xiao Xi, the typical not-so-bright clumsy girl who has a crush on her childhood friend and neighbor, the "perfect" smart and tall guy, Jiang Chen. Together with their classmates, they go through changes and we see them grow (sort of) from high school, university, and adult life.

If you are here, thinking that I'll go gaga over the leads... I hate to disappoint you but I never cared about them at all (well at least for the most part!). The only reason why I'm even doing a review for this, and the sole factor why I even bothered finishing the drama are the characters: Lu Yang and Jing Xiao.



Since the first episode, Lu Yang's dorky charm caught me in an instant. And to see him grow from being that pathetic boy who chases the girl he likes whenever he can ( also has the tendency to be scammed most of the time) to a boy who knows his repercussions of his situation, and a damn cute husband. I love seeing actual growth. Though it was not much, I loved rooting for him anyway. It was a bit satisfactory on my part.


Same goes for Jing Xiao, who is a queen, by the way. She was tough, yet at the same time has her own inner vulnerabilities. She was loyal to Xiao Xie from the very start which makes her all the more endearing. I particularly loved that one scene in the later episodes where she sat in the cinema and recalled her memories with both her crush and Lu Yang. It was so damn good, I was screaming. I loved it. 


These two became the lead couple for me. Not to trash on the actual leads, there were alright too. But the way the show builds up whatever they have, as well as why they ended up together in the first place was definitely something I don't really give a care for... at least their height difference was cute!



It might just be for me, but this show took so much time to build up. I watch a lot of stuff. I'm not new to how things go. I have watched shows with around 50+ episodes, and yet this one felt too long for me to even finish. It could be that I have no interest in the main focus of the show, I'm too old(I hope not!) for this kind of story, or the show just loves giving you filler after filler only to explode fan service at the very last episode.

I have more to say, but I don't want to go full-on harsh on my first Asian series review for this year. So I'll just keep mum on some matters. One thing is for sure, shows like this just give me all the more reason to binge watch stuff rather than watch them as it airs. 



In the end, this series showcased a precious bond found in friendship. It was the undeniable genuine beating heart of the show.  It was still fluffy and adorable - I'll give it that. I could see why people rave about it, but it wasn't really the kind of show for me at this point in time. Despite how unbearable the experience was, I still enjoyed MOST of it. Emphasis on the word most.














Hello! My name is Caroline and I own this blog!

I like watching things, and I love talking about them. In order to bring back life to my slowly dying blog, I have decided to post reviews of the things I have watched here in this place. Not to mention my low-key obsession with taking screen captures. I used to do little thread reviews on my twitter, which I still do to this date. I also have a dedicated Tumblr where I dump most of my screen caps.

Thank you for taking the time and reading this review. It really means a lot to me. 

It would be nice to know what you think of the thing I watched in this post as well. Or if you have any suggestions on what should I watch next, comment below or reach me thru twitter










You Might Also Like

0 comments