Done Watching, 2018: Fargo, Season 1 (2014), Review

Wednesday, January 24, 2018


"So, he killed himself for nothing?'
 "Did he?"
 "What are you saying?"
 "Only a fool thinks he can solve the world's problems." 
 "Yeah, but you gotta try, don't you?" 

The conversation above was quoted from the conversation I really liked from Episode 5 of Fargo, Season 1.  




*** THIS REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***
I watched this film without prior knowledge of what it was about.
(You should too. It makes the viewing much more leveled and interesting.)





Highs

  • That particular silhouette frame of Lorne Malvo by the elevator in Episode 9.
  • The Fool Man's story in Episode 5. 
  • The last two episodes made me crave for grilled cheese sandwiches. 



Lows
  • Stale humor. 
  • Felt like it tried a bit too hard to be a thing. 
  • It felt empty despite the body count and gore. 




Set in 2006, the season opens with a car accident involving a hired killer named Lorne Malvo (played by Billy Bob Thornton). After a conversation with a salesman named Lester Nygaard (played by Martin Freeman) in the hospital, a series of interconnected murders presents itself in Bemidji, Minnesota. 


I've read so much praise about Season 1 - namely being the "best darn series of the year 2014" in rotten tomatoes, so what is there to lose? The winter backdrop Minnesota really did good for the tone and look of the show. I especially love each intro, as well as most frames in every episode. The series is beautifully done, I'll give it that. 

But the little to none humor coming from a black comedy was a bit taxing on my part. It could be too dry for my taste, but it felt a bit too heavy for me to consume given its subject matter. From the unwanted animal violence (I loathe it.) to the increasing body count Fargo went all out to somehow make an impact and veer itself away from its source material. Though at some point in the later episodes, the influence of the Coen brothers can be felt to a point that it became a bit predictable on my part. 


Billy Bob Thornton was decent with his performance, though I never really like watching him. His Lorne Malvo gave you that dark aura with a side of uneasiness, which I guess works for some people. I would've loved it if there was something deeper and peculiar about him.  We don't see much of his motivations and/or reasoning apart from being paid and shutting people up, and I wish there is more to him than just that. 


Martin Freeman plays himself yet again in the guise of  Lester. Timid, bullied, and tight-lipped. Like the wound on his hand in the later episodes, Lester then healed and became a somewhat manipulative and despicable man. There are notable changes, but I never felt like he grew from all that, which then led to an unfortunate end for his character. 


Molly, or Deputy Solverson as she prefers it started out as a very nosy character in my impression. I always get a bit upset with how she handled things. Unfortunately, she's the only one with the brains in her frustratingly misogynistic force. Her devoted, caring, and selfless personality won me over eventually.   

If I am to choose one character from this show, it would go to Lou Solverson (played by Keith Carradine). We don't see much of him, heck we only get to see him whenever someone goes to his diner. But the fact that we are introduced to him, know his motivations, and his badassery despite his limited appearance is something I really liked. 

Colin Hanks who played Gus was also a nice addition to the cast. I really do like him, though his life change in the later episode was unexpected but somewhat practical - which made sense if you think about it. 

Also, we need more Mr. Wrench and Mr. Numbers, they are precious to me and I know they deserve better. 


I have a special place for dark and dry humor in my heart, it could also be that this show just doesn't quite hit the right notes for me. If there is room for improvement, it's definitely the humor, I feel like it needs to pick up from somewhere and humor is the solution for it. 


I only knew of Fargo because of Ewan Mcgregor, and given that I love Ewan - I decided to give this series a try. Little did I know, I am only to see him in the third season. Since I am a completionist, I decided to give Season 1 a test run. 

Despite the praise and all the rave, I found the first season of Fargo too dry and empty for my taste despite all the violence. But there are two more season's to go through, which means more room for chances and improvement... if I'll ever find the time to continue on. 







Hello! My name is Caroline and I own this blog!

I like watching things, and I love talking about them. In order to bring back life to my slowly dying blog, I have decided to post reviews of the things I have watched here in this place. Not to mention my low-key obsession with taking screen captures. I used to do little thread reviews on my twitter, which I still do to this date. I also have a dedicated Tumblr where I dump most of my screen caps.

Thank you for taking the time and reading this review. It really means a lot to me. 

It would be nice to know what you think of the thing I watched in this post as well. Or if you have any suggestions on what should I watch next, comment below or reach me thru twitter. You can also ask questions on my curious cat profile!


You Might Also Like

0 comments