Done Watching, 2018: This Beautiful Fantastic (2016), Review

Tuesday, January 16, 2018


A charming adult fairytale that gave me a sense of visual satisfaction (and also leveled up my horticultural fantasies), This Beautiful Fantastic was just the right amount of heartwarming and whimsical bits that I need in a story.



*** THIS REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***
I watched this film without prior knowledge of what it was about.
(You should too. It makes the viewing much more leveled and interesting.)






Highs


  • Beautiful and captivating. In a visual and heartwarming sense.
  • Has a really endearing cast.
  • "Life and nature, it's just waiting to burst out anywhere it can, seeking light, getting on with it."



Lows


  • Has that subtle predictability.
  • Billy and the bus.
  • I checked my phone twice as we were watching this.








In a very familiar "Amelie"-esque style, we follow an aspiring children's book author as her usual routine gets interfered after going against her old cranky neighbor. 

Given the I have a soft spot for the whimsical stuff, there is no way I'll hate a film like this. It brought extraordinary people together to enjoy the beauty of normal life. A modern fairytale set in a world where technology is not really a thing (or that is what I believe). A story with a genuine heart and characters that grow alongside each other. A delightful treat to watch. From the noteworthy set designs to the overall look of the whole film, you could say that my eyes(and heart) are very pleased.


Given that I am a plant mom, the film was filled with gardening metaphors that just made me want to combust (in a good way). Which I am really thankful that I had no idea it was going to be like that, so it was a really pleasant surprise.


It's not a perfect film by any means, there is a sense of predictability but it doesn't really ruin the whole experience. There were also some narrative strands that just doesn't seem to blend in as one, so that could be a thing if you expect a tightly written piece.

One issue I've had in particular is the character arc for Billy (played by Irvine), I just felt like even if you take him out of the story, it could still work, and maybe (just maybe), it won't feel as long as it felt (I checked my phone twice as we were watching this).


Apart from the films beautiful backdrop, the cast was able to work with what they have in order to blend in with the whole narrative. I love each little bits we get as the story peels out each character, and it shows how effective each actor is as they wear their characters well.



I especially loved Jessica Brown Findlay's Bella. I knew of this film from my sister who showed me the trailer. She told me Bella's traits reminded me of her. And I can't help but feel that connection whilst going through the film. Each of her quirks, habits, and struggles in the beginning of the film, was something I empathize with, and that made the whole experience interesting for me. 

Both quaint and exquisite, with an underlying message of compassion and courage. Though there were a few notable flaws, This Beautiful Fantastic managed to be a light, extraordinary tale. It's not for all, but I did genuinely enjoy my time with this one. 











Hello! My name is Caroline and I own this blog!

I like watching things, and I love talking about them. In order to bring back life to my slowly dying blog, I have decided to post reviews of the things I have watched here in this place. Not to mention my low-key obsession with taking screen captures. I used to do little thread reviews on my twitter, which I still do to this date. I also have a dedicated Tumblr where I dump most of my screen caps.

Thank you for taking the time and reading this review. It really means a lot to me. 

It would be nice to know what you think of the thing I watched in this post as well. Or if you have any suggestions on what should I watch next, comment below or reach me thru twitter. You can also ask questions on my curious cat profile!

You Might Also Like

0 comments