Done Watching, 2018: Goodbye Christopher Robin (2017), Review

Monday, January 29, 2018


" I knew it first. It was mine before anyone else's."
"Then I gave it away." 

I never knew that one of the stories that basically shaped my childhood came from such a heavy emotionally wrecking place.




*** THIS REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***
I watched this film without prior knowledge of what it was about.
(You should too. It makes the viewing much more leveled and interesting.)






Upon returning home after the First Wolrd War, Alan Milne often referred to lovingly as Blue tries to re-adjust himself from his previous life of party and writing essays and plays. But as he experiences paralyzing flashbacks his wife Daphne (played by Margot Robbie) gave him a son whom they called Christopher Robin (played by Will Tilston and Alex Lawther), often referred to lovingly as Billy Moon, the basis of the character Christopher Robin in his father's Winnie-the-Pooh stories.



I'm not gonna deny it any longer, I feel like I've entered the Domhall Gleeson adoration territory (and yes, I still am obsessing over The Last Jedi, now shussh!). And where a better way to start the ride but with watching one of his latest films.

I grew up basically with Winnie the Pooh. My parents bought me Disney's Pooh Bear, and I remember owning a lot of VHS tapes of its movies. Even to this day, I still remember the dialogue for Pooh's Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin (1997).

This film though is not about that version of Pooh. This is a look at how the hundred acre woods came to be and the consequences that came with it. A man's process of healing. A film about family, mainly focused on the father and son relationship. How a family deals with fame and its drawbacks.

The transition from scene to scene was a bit of a fascinating factor for me, personally. It is as if we are peeking into the lives of this family (which we technically are), opening doors are looking through windows.

Though I won't say the same with the overall visual tone of the film. The colors are there, but it somehow felt lacking despite how vibrant it looks. As if they are not consistent as I want them to be. Like how the overall narrative felt as well - it'd decent, but at the same time, it felt like it needs a re-write.


As expected, I would have to say that Domhall did an amazing job in this film. Though his hairstyle would remind you of Hux, which it somehow did to me. It all fades away as we go deep into the story. We see his transition from being broken to somewhat content which led to a bittersweet regret.

I won't say the same for Margot Robbie, though. She felt like a miscast from beginning to end. As if she was doing what she was told and not putting a bit of effort. It also doesn't help how despicable her character can be, either.


The darling of the film would definitely be Will Tilston. He was such a delight to watch, and I do believe that this was his first starring role as well. For a first, he did a decent job.


Same goes for his older self that was played by Alex Lawther. I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again - this boy has secured his place as one of my favorite new actors of today. Despite his short appearance, he did well. And guh! I loved him in End of the F****ing World, so yes I am biased.


Last but not the least is Kelly Macdonald who served as the voice of reason in this film. A sterling and loving supporting performance in contrast with the rest.



Highs

  • Transitions
  • Heartwarming and bittersweet at the same time. 
  • I adore most of the cast. 


Lows

  • Color grading inconsistencies. 
  • Touches dark matters, so I believe it shouldn't be totally PG. 
  • Margot Robbie. 





Charming in its own way (despite a miscast and bits of flaws), as if we were looking at glimpses of each memory, a pretty decent biopic that showed us not all things are always whimsical within the hundred acre woods, though I certainly did enjoy my time with this one!










Hello! My name is Caroline and I own this blog!

I like watching things, and I love talking about them. In order to bring back life to my slowly dying blog, I have decided to post reviews of the things I have watched here in this place. Not to mention my low-key obsession with taking screen captures. I used to do little thread reviews on my twitter, which I still do to this date. I also have a dedicated Tumblr where I dump most of my screen caps.

Thank you for taking the time and reading this review. It really means a lot to me. 

It would be nice to know what you think of the thing I watched in this post as well. Or if you have any suggestions on what should I watch next, comment below or reach me thru twitter. You can also ask questions on my curious cat profile!





You Might Also Like

0 comments