Done Watching, 2018: Midnight Special (2016), Review

Monday, January 15, 2018



Unearthly yet human in a sense, Midnight Special tagged me along in journey filled with tension only to end up in a vague and obscure destination.




*** THIS REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***
I watched this film without prior knowledge of what it was about.
(You should too. It makes the viewing much more leveled and interesting.)





Highs 

  • A solid cast. 
  • A well-shot film. 
  • Built a good amount of intrigue. 


Lows

  • It explains itself way too much. 
  • It doesn't really know what it exactly is.
  • My sister slept through the second half. 




Midnight Special opens with an amber alert for an 8-year-old boy abducted from his home. Where we eventually join a father doing whatever it takes to save his son, along with a few speed bumps in form of a cult, the government, and the great unknown. 

When it comes to the sci-fi genre, it takes a decent amount of good intrigue factor to make me stay put. Midnight Special somehow gave me that. Apart from a child with unknown abilities, the movie weaves in religious beliefs, vague science stuff that involves the government, and family.



Each frame was very pleasing to the eyes, which is a huge factor as to why I enjoyed it. It makes each beat tolerable and somehow satisfactory.

There's a bunch of could be non-existent science talk which could be a bit much for the viewer. But what really bummed me out is how the narrative played with all these interesting factors only to serve a medium meal in the end. If only the writing balanced each factor in a tightly locked way, this whole film could've really taken my breath away. 

If you have read my first ever review for this year, along with another review the came a few days after that (also this one), my actual motivation is mainly because of a little crush.

But as I go in, my initial reason didn't really matter. The cast led by Michael Shannon did great, especially the kid who played Alton (Jaeden Lieberher). I especially loved the character played by Joel Edgerten, he's a badass.



But let me say this, though - Adam was precious in this one. I really loved watching him as someone who doesn't have the "rage". Also, I need him to have more roles that require him to wear specs... because he looks so good.




Beyond what it is, Midnight Special did a great job of showing us the power of belief even toward the unknown. Not to mention, a father's unconditional dedication to his son. And most importantly (for me, at least), is the fact that Adam Driver looks good with glasses. Despite its flaws, I enjoyed my time with this one. 









Hello! My name is Caroline and I own this blog!

I like watching things, and I love talking about them. In order to bring back life to my slowly dying blog, I have decided to post reviews of the things I have watched here in this place. Not to mention my low-key obsession with taking screen captures. I used to do little thread reviews on my twitter, which I still do to this date. I also have a dedicated Tumblr where I dump most of my screen caps.

Thank you for taking the time and reading this review. It really means a lot to me. 

It would be nice to know what you think of the thing I watched in this post as well. Or if you have any suggestions on what should I watch next, comment below or reach me thru twitter. You can also ask questions on my curious cat profile!


You Might Also Like

0 comments