Done Watching, 2018: Blade of the Immortal (2017), Review

Wednesday, January 03, 2018


Bloody, petty, and cluttered. This unnecessarily long(2 hours!) blood fest paired with a very dense plot and character motivation. Definitely not the Samurai movie I wanted it to be.



Highs

  • Kimura Takuya.
  • Erika Toda.
  • Erika Toda kicking Kimura Takuya’s ass. 
  • Erika Toda.
  • Sword-fights, lots of them.


Lows


  • Sota Fukushi's acting.
  • Hana Sugisaki's character.
  • Runtime: 140 mins.
  • Is bad costume/production hair really a thing in Japan... or? 
  • Not much heart, too much blood. 
  • Sota Fukushi. 






Since it was on Netflix and I have trouble sleeping at night, I decided to give this one a try.

A story of a man cursed with the gift of immortality who was sought by a girl whose parents was killed by a group of assassins who are trying to change the ways of the samurai.


I have not seen much of KimuTaku for a long while. But I do believe he did well in this given that there is nothing much to work with for his character does the physical most of the time. 


The one who basically stole the show for me would probably Erika Toda. She looked divine in this movie despite her short screen time and did some great ass kicking as well. 



As for Fukushi Sota, given that his acting style is not for someone like me - he was an eyesore (in my opinion) most of the time. And if given the chance, I would've skipped his parts for it won't really change what I thought of the film entirely. The same goes for Hana Sugisaki's character who is just there to give KimuTaku the reason to rescue her and kill more people. 




Despite my complaints about some of the acting, this was pretty decent film visually. It had that old samurai movie style that I'm fascinated with.

Unfortunately, there was so much blood and not so much heart, that it somehow felt a little pointless.

How I wish they gave more thought to the narrative rather than putting together sword fight after sword fight. And with that said, this movie is not for me.











---


I like watching things, and I love talking about them. Not to mention my low-key obsession with taking screen captures. I used to do little thread reviews on my twitter, which I still do to this date. I also have a dedicated Tumblr where I dump most of my screen caps.

In order to bring back life to my slowly dying blog, I have decided to post reviews of the things I have watched here in this place.











You Might Also Like

0 comments