Done Watching, 2018: The End of the F***ing World (2017), Review

Monday, January 08, 2018


A mixed bag of everything sweet and everything absurd. This short eight-part black romance-comedy-drama was a fun and at the same time disturbing, solid binge watch in my book.

*** THIS REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

Highs



  • James & Alyssa.
  • James reaching out for Alyssa's hand whilst lying on the floor.
  • Lady cops with intellect and compassion. 
  • Music. 
  • Tight screenplay. 
  • Visually stylish. 


Lows


  • Unnecessary and blatant animal cruelty.
  • Trigger warning: abuse and sexual assault.


A self-diagnosed psychopath and a fed up social outcast find themselves on a road trip to escape from it all. With his little-known agenda to kill her, and her quest to find her real father - these two seventeen-year-olds lead their way to a sweet and dark tale of tragedy. 


James (played by Lawther) was oddly charming despite his deadpan "psychopath" self.  As we follow his "awakening" in the later episodes, I just can't help but let out a scream because of his preciousness. 

Alyssa (played by Barden), on the other hand, is a sad and sweet gem. Despite her destructive out-character, her thoughts tell us otherwise. She feels a lot. She feels too much, and with that, I loved listening to her inner dialogue as it reminds me of mine most of the time. 

I was oddly attracted to the dynamic between James and Alyssa, they shone as individuals and burned even brighter together. Their odd angst-driven chemistry carried the whole series so well from start to end. 


The visual style, dialogue, and cutaways take me back heavily of Edgar Wright's Three Flavors Cornetto trilogy, which is a good thing as I loved those films since young. 

The great mix of music and reference was also a fantastic touch along with fortunately a tightly written premise with each characters' growth from the two leads to the side characters. 

It's not called an absurdist dark comedy for no reason, though. The animal cruelty was a bit too much for me, which is an unfortunate recurring theme in the series. Along with bits of disgusting blatant harassment and abuse that I don't want to recall. I guess that's the reason why skipping scenes is always an open option for each viewer. 


From the first episode alone, I had the time of my life. It was short, straight to the point, and grossly hilarious. The End of the F***ing World was fascinating in a poignant complicated way, and I really enjoyed my time with this one. 













Hello! My name is Caroline and I own this blog!

I like watching things, and I love talking about them. In order to bring back life to my slowly dying blog, I have decided to post reviews of the things I have watched here in this place. Not to mention my low-key obsession with taking screen captures. I used to do little thread reviews on my twitter, which I still do to this date. I also have a dedicated Tumblr where I dump most of my screen caps.

Thank you for taking the time and reading this review. It really means a lot to me. 

It would be nice to know what you think of the thing I watched in this post as well. Or if you have any suggestions on what should I watch next, comment below or reach me thru twitter

You Might Also Like

0 comments