Done Watching, 2018: Red Shoes (1948), Review

Friday, February 02, 2018



"You cannot have it both ways. 
A dancer who relies upon the doubtful comforts of human love 
can never be a great dancer. Never."




*** THIS REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***
I watched this film without prior knowledge of what it was about.
(You should too. It makes the viewing much more leveled and interesting.)






The film opens with an opening of a ballet where we meet its director Boris Lermontov (played by Anton Walbrook), a rising composer Julian Craster (played by Marius Goring) and a young socialite who loves ballet named Vicky Page (played by Moira Sheaver).

As fate does its job, we follow the young girl who once loved ballet torn between the man she loves and her pursuit to become a prima ballerina.



I first knew of Red Shoes around the time when IU's Modern Times came out and released a title track with the same name. I got to read the fairytale first, which I find very interesting and was able to get a hold of the film which the music video was inspired by. Which as you can tell, I only watched as of late.

The first minute of the film was enough to make me curious. A crowd of students and ballet enthusiasts desperate to get great seats to see the ballet show directed by Boris Lermontov. I was actually somewhat curious to know what the story has for us. But as the story drags, and we are on its first-hour mark, I was getting bored. The shallow acting, pasty makeup looks and tiring first act wasn't helping at all too.


But oh, it was able to regain itself at its last moments. Where a whole turnaround we witness a magnificent ballet segment of the actual fairytale by Hans Christian Andersen.  It was what I have been waiting for all along.

The Red Shoes has two stories in one film, somewhat interconnecting one another. It showed us how for some, artform can be a religion or a way of life. A result of blood, sweat, tears as some may call it. But at the same time, it takes us into this two-hour showcase of shallow storytelling that if you don't think hard enough - the whole thing could mean nothing at all.

The use of colors, sets, and costume made the wait somewhat bearable. As if we are flipping through a book of the fairytale itself. It's undeniably pretty overall.




Highs 

  • Terrific ballet performances.
  • Great use of sets and colors in some parts. 
  • The actual Red Shoes ballet segment. 


Lows

  • Lack of chemistry between the cast. 
  • 2 hours. 
  • Thick makeup looks that don't look well with the restoration. 



It failed to draw me in. It left me somewhat unfulfilled in a way. I have read that it is one of the finest works in British film history, maybe for its time (but not in mine).






Hello! My name is Caroline and I own this blog!

I like watching things, and I love talking about them. In order to bring back life to my slowly dying blog, I have decided to post reviews of the things I have watched here in this place. Not to mention my low-key obsession with taking screen captures. I used to do little thread reviews on my twitter, which I still do to this date. I also have a dedicated Tumblr where I dump most of my screen caps.

Thank you for taking the time and reading this review. It really means a lot to me. 

It would be nice to know what you think of the thing I watched in this post as well. Or if you have any suggestions on what should I watch next, comment below or reach me thru twitter. You can also ask questions on my curious cat profile!



You Might Also Like

0 comments