Done Watching, 2018: Gran Hotel, Season 1 (2011), Review

Saturday, February 03, 2018



"Manner, silence, and discretion." 





*** THIS REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***
I watched this film without prior knowledge of what it was about.
(You should too. It makes the viewing much more leveled and interesting.)





The series opens with Julio (played by Yon Gonzalez) on his way to visit his sister in the infamous Gran Hotel. But as he discovers she had vanished from the after suspicious circumstances, he decided to pose as a waiter in order to solve the mystery of her disappearance which led us to a suspenseful story filled with love, crime, and mystery surrounding everyone involved in the hotel.



Oh man... where do I even start

I had been watching the two seasons of Las Chicas Del Cable for a while now, but given that I wasn't too comfortable with how they merge modern music with the time period it was based on, I decided it was not for me and I need something to distract me from that. Netflix came to my rescue, and boy it swept me(and my sister's) off of my feet for sure!

It basically had everything: romance, a whole lot of blackmail, jealousy, crime, a dose of cute, comedy and extraness, mystery, and a gorgeous cast. Most of the time shows get a bit tiring and out of its loop balancing each of the elements it presents, but not for this one. The writing was tight enough to make each episode satisfactory, it's refreshing!

Beyond the gorgeous looks (costumes, looks, set designs, and overall photography), the one thing I loved the most would probably its characters. They're not plot devices, but rather all of them are charming and real enough to have the knack to take action, which makes the whole narrative suspense-filled and so damn good. So you can't really blame me if I can't pick a favorite for I loved each and every one of them. 




Highs 

  • Best period series I've seen in years. 
  • Beautiful, gorgeous, and A+ cast. 
  • Really good writing and direction. 


Lows

  • Borderline addictive.
  • Like... really addictive.
  • Yon Gonzalez is too gorgeous for his own good.



If you're in to think too think deeply about every beat, you may see some loose ends and silly coincidences which could make one a bit frustrated. But it has this charming appeal to make you completely engrossed from the start to finish.

Mind you, I tried my hardest not to give anything away so that it would be nice for everyone who'll give this show a try to experience the whole thing with a clean slate. I enjoyed my time with Season 1 and I can't wait for what's in store for us in Season 2. I can't help it, I simply just love it. 





Hello! My name is Caroline and I own this blog!

I like watching things, and I love talking about them. In order to bring back life to my slowly dying blog, I have decided to post reviews of the things I have watched here in this place. Not to mention my low-key obsession with taking screen captures. I used to do little thread reviews on my twitter, which I still do to this date. I also have a dedicated Tumblr where I dump most of my screen caps.

It would be nice to know what you think of the thing I watched in this post as well. Or if you have any suggestions on what should I watch next, comment below or reach me thru twitter. You can also ask questions on my curious cat profile!

Thank you for taking the time and reading this review. It really means a lot to me. ( ∩ˇωˇ∩)♡



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. TOTO - titanium alloys - T-Titanium-arts.com
    Titanium Alloys titanium knife titanium alloy TOTO is mens titanium earrings the premium aluminum alloy made in Portland, Oregon. This alloy has been tested at titanium network surf freely over 1,500 testing titanium bracelet sites and certified by

    ReplyDelete