Done Watching, 2018: Exit Through The Gift Shop (2010), Review

Saturday, February 03, 2018



"...there aren't supposed to be any rules, 
so I don't know what the moral is."






*** THIS REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***
I watched this film without prior knowledge of what it was about.
(You should too. It makes the viewing much more leveled and interesting.)






Directed by the infamous street artist, Banky - we follow a Los Angeles French immigrant who has a knack to document everything in film (take it as daily vlogs, but all kept in tapes). After tagging along with his cousin's nocturnal (and illegal) adventures in Paris, the French immigrant found his focus:  street artists and his unhealthy obsession of sorts with them.




I've had this documentary since it came out resting along with hundreds of others that I have yet watch.  I remember only giving this consideration because it was on the same recommended list after Bill Cunningham: New York, but I never knew what it was or what is about.

It's all kinds of rugged, clever, and fascinating all at the same time. Most of the frames were shot by Thierry Guetta (the LA French Immigrant), and they're not exactly the most mind-blowing cinematography you'll get out of an ordinary video camera shot by an amateur but it is enough footage to let you in to this world of street artists that started a movement way back when they're not filling up galleries and selling art through Sotheby's.

How the whole thing came about felt so spectacularly constructed in a way that you don't know how it will all end as if it's a prank (or a great story even!) or so. But at the same time, it's so human and true - that for me is amazing.

Though I have moral reservations with regard to what I generally think of street art, I find this documentary enthralling enough to make me rethink some of my notions. But at the same time, still, uphold what I think about the way they push forward their agenda.




Highs


  • Fascinating, clever and very human. 
  • Intricate and tight narrative. 
  • A must watch for street art enthusiasts. 



Lows

  • That Guantanamo Bay stunt in Disneyland made me uncomfortable.





Technically, you could say that the whole thing is plain. But as you go deeper into this rabbit hole of episodes in someone's not so normal life, it's rather very out of the ordinary. Not to mention being a well documented and directed look into human behavior and a tale of how far can someone go with his obsession.

As for my final verdict, for sure I definitely enjoyed my time with this one! 









Hello! My name is Caroline and I own this blog!

I like watching things, and I love talking about them. In order to bring back life to my slowly dying blog, I have decided to post reviews of the things I have watched here in this place. Not to mention my low-key obsession with taking screen captures. I used to do little thread reviews on my twitter, which I still do to this date. I also have a dedicated Tumblr where I dump most of my screen caps.

It would be nice to know what you think of the thing I watched in this post as well. Or if you have any suggestions on what should I watch next, comment below or reach me thru twitter. You can also ask questions on my curious cat profile!

Thank you for taking the time and reading this review. It really means a lot to me. ( ∩ˇωˇ∩)♡

You Might Also Like

0 comments