Done Watching, 2018: The Final Year (2017), Review

Saturday, March 31, 2018


"Sometimes we think people are only motivated by money... by power. But people are also motivated by stories." 




We follow the vital players of Barack Obama's administration as they worked for better diplomatic relations and the pursuit of noble aims for the former president's final year.

After spending my early career years working for a non-profit and the government... I decided to go on a political cleanse/break. We all know how draining anything political can be, so as I go into this documentary... I wasn't really expecting anything remarkable.

"The Final Year" showed us an intimate glimpse of an administration making the most out of its remaining days pushing forward diplomacy, as opposed to war or violence of any kind. A surprisingly whirlwind ride of emotions, from the protocol, philosophy, and bittersweet end. It somehow gave a sense of humanity of the responsibility and power that is under the umbrella of the American presidency.

Obama, as I have always known him somewhat used his power at most to do good. And that was what this film showed us. The fact that his philosophy gives importance to stories and most importantly what's best for his people. Though he was not alone on it, it somewhat felt good that someone like him along with his words exists.



Highs

  • An intimate and literally on-the-ground political reality. 
  • It's not just about politics. 
  • A revelation of new truths and perspectives of the former administration. 


Lows

  • We all know how it ends, and that makes it sadder. 



With the current political climate, The Final Year felt so long ago. The good ol' days as we call it. Though I avoid taking sides on anything political, one should agree that somehow The Final Year not only showed how the White House works but also gave us a glimpse of an administration that worked with dignity and grace.







Hello! My name is Caroline and I own this blog!

I like watching things, and I love talking about them. In order to bring back life to my slowly dying blog, I have decided to post reviews of the things I have watched here in this place. Not to mention my low-key obsession with taking screen captures. I used to do little thread reviews on my twitter, which I still do to this date. I also have a dedicated Tumblr where I dump most of my screen caps.

It would be nice to know what you think of the thing I watched in this post as well. Or if you have any suggestions on what should I watch next, comment below or reach me thru twitter. You can also ask questions on my curious cat profile!

Thank you for taking the time and reading this review. It really means a lot to me. ( ∩ˇωˇ∩)♡

You Might Also Like

0 comments