Done Watching, 2018: Black Panther (2018), Review

Thursday, March 29, 2018


"Just because something works doesn't mean it can't be improved."




*** THIS REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***
I watched this film without prior knowledge of what it was about.
(You should too. It makes the viewing much more leveled and interesting.)






Following the death of his father, we follow King T'Challa's (played by Chadwick Boseman) return to the nation of Wakanda - a technologically advanced African nation to serve as its new leader. Soon he finds himself challenged for the throne and a Wakanda dragged into World War.


It has the makings of your usual superhero film, yet it sets itself apart from its genre. From the colors, storytelling, and its core value, Black Panther delivered so much more than just a hero in action. What got to me the most is the new mix of characters that have established goals and mindsets, which sets them apart from introductory cliches. Their own agenda gave the story a driving force to go on without confusion.


Unlike most, I never became a fan or was somewhat impressed with the eventual villain of Black Panther. Though we were given a glimpse of his motivations, it was not enough to make me go emphatize for him. Or it could be because I was too biased with T'Challa that I didn't even waste a crap for Killmonger. But that's just me. 


Though we were introduced to a new mix of characters, each and every one of them did so well, in my opinion. Each had that actual moment to shine and no one seems to hard carry the film above anyone else, which is always a good thing. 


Highs
  • A story with a new voice and a genuine heart. 
  • Fun, epic characters. 
  • Colorful and action-packed. 

Lows
  • That one shot of the crowd during the crown challenge scene. 
  • I'm not really fond of Killmonger. 

One might say that it's just another Marvel film, with the same old formula. But there is something about the indescribable bond of a family, and/or a nation (namely Wakanda) that just made Black Panther such a unique and genuine voice. I can't deny the fact that I had fun and even cried when I watched this film. Definitely one of the notable ones we got to see this year, so far. 










Hello! My name is Caroline and I own this blog!

I like watching things, and I love talking about them. In order to bring back life to my slowly dying blog, I have decided to post reviews of the things I have watched here in this place. Not to mention my low-key obsession with taking screen captures. I used to do little thread reviews on my twitter, which I still do to this date. I also have a dedicated Tumblr where I dump most of my screen caps.

It would be nice to know what you think of the thing I watched in this post as well. Or if you have any suggestions on what should I watch next, comment below or reach me thru twitter. You can also ask questions on my curious cat profile!

Thank you for taking the time and reading this review. It really means a lot to me. ( ∩ˇωˇ∩)♡

You Might Also Like

0 comments